Mulled Wine is one of the best ways to stay warm this autumn and winter. What is mulled wine? In short it’s warm spice infused wine. According to science, mulled wine dates back to a time where people were cold but still wanted to party. After a couple of glasses of this warm wine someone decided to throw in spices. This is irrefutable history.
Now mulled wine is pretty simple to make, yet some of the essential ingredients are always annoyingly missing from your spice pantry, and if they are not missing chances are you used them the last time you mulled wine back in 2006. Trash them. The Fair Seas Spice Co. has solved this problem by assembling an all inclusive mulled wine spice kit. Our Mulled Wine Spice Kit includes 100% Fairtrade certified cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla, along with ethically sourced bay leaves and star anise.
While there are many mulled wine recipes, this one is tried, tested, and pretty awesome.
First what you’ll need:
- The Fair Seas Spice Co. Mulled Wine Kit
- 1 orange or two Clementines
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 200g of Sugar (or less if you you prefer a less sweet drink)
- 2 Bottles of red wine
- a Nutmeg grater (any fine grater will do)
What you need to do:
- Open up your Fair Seas Spice Co. Mulled Wine Spice Kit and pour the spices into a bowl; remove the star anise, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Halve the vanilla bean lengthwise using a sharp knife and return to bowl
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove large portions of the citrus peels.
- Over medium heat add your sugar to a large saucepan along with the citrus peels, the bowl of spices, and about 10 to 12 gratings of nutmeg.
- Squeeze in the orange or Clementine juice
- Add just enough wine to cover the ingredients and let simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Bring to a rolling boil, about 4 to 5 minutes, until you’re left with a thick and fragrant syrup. This syrup base will add amazing flavour to the mulled wine.
- Reduce heat to low, add the star anise and the remainder of the wine and let simmer until nice and warm (DO NOT BOIL, this will evaporate the alcohol and no one wants that to happen, NO ONE)
Now the following steps are optional but are most often taken.
- lose your inhibitions
- get into an awkward argument about climate change with your Tea-Party cousin
- Agree to disagree
- hug it out
There you have it, Mulled Wine.